Backyard lighting is simple with mason jars! Used all by themselves they’re a classic addition to your decorating plan. Add a little decoupage and the candle glows a little warmer and with personality!
Here is how to create your own do it yourself mason jar decoupage candles.
What you will need:
- Mason Jars in various sizes, or any glass jar in any size. Repurposed jars of any kind can work in this case.
- Colored tissue paper or other papers in prints that will enhance your theme.
- Mod Podge Decoupage Paste
- Sponge tipped “brushes”
- Votive size candles or tea lights
What you will do:
- Clear off a large working area, on a table or even the floor. Spread out newspaper or protective covering, Decoupage gets messy.
- Cut your paper into strips and don’t be afraid to add a scalloped edge or cut your pieces into different widths and lengths to add texture once layered on the jar. Choose interesting papers, you can even use antique-look scrapbook papers, or music sheets. Be sure your paper isn’t too thick or the mod podge may not soak through and stick.
- Now, dip your sponge brush into the mod podge glue and lightly brush a thin first layer onto the back side of your paper strip. Place the strip onto the outside of the jar with the coated side touching the glass. Press down on the strip firmly to smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles.
- Continue layering each strip lightly overlapping each strip to create texture. Continue until all of the glass is covered an then cover the entire paper surface with another layer of mod podge.
- Follow this same process for each jar you wish to decoupage.
- Pro-Tip – Using aged look papers, or newspaper, will add a more classy look, whereas tissue paper will give it a more “crafty” look. So choose a paper in keeping with your theme.
Now all that is left is to add the candles. You will love the beautiful glow and the added creative element these DIY Lanterns will add to your event.
Colorado Party Rentals can help you do it yourself, offering you guidance through your event planning process!
We are more than just a rental company, we guide your creative process offering suggestions to help you achieve the look you desire. Trust the professionals at Colorado Party Rentals to be your creative partner! For all of your event needs in Denver and all around Colorado call us!